By: Bella Papadopolou.
Just like any other place, living in Itacaré shapes your daily routines after a while. It seems that there are some things that are so deliciously contagious, that anyone spending more than a few days here will adapt to. We asked both locals and “localised” visitors about this and had them complete the sentence “You know you are from Itacaré when…” and below are the most popular answers:
1. You know you are from Itacaré when you hang out at the beach everyday.
Well, with so many beautiful Atlantic forest surrounded beaches, it is hard to stay at home. The beach here is not a place to go to on weekends but more of an inevitable part of a lifestyle.
Why change when they are so comfy and practical? Enjoy a place that socially accepts Havaianas as proper dress code for every occasion. Play around with colors and patterns, as there is a big selection available.
It is hard not to become a beach-bum in a town where there are breaks for every style and level. Grab a board, head out to the sea with your other beach-bummers and have some fun catching the waves.
4. You know you are from Itacaré when you say “Oi!” to Dinha on the street.
I guess it is no secret that you are “localized” when you give heads up to the town’s famous vaxing-lady, Dinha, on the street. You are in Brazil. Go Brazilian.
5. You know you are from Itacaré when the guy who sells sunglasses on the beach stops showing his goods to you.
The first sign of being “localized”: the sellers have lost faith in you ever buying something from them and instead they proceed in completely ignoring you.
6. You know you are from Itacaré when you can’t walk down Pituba Street without at least 3 people saying “Tudo bem?”.
You will soon notice how easy it is to make friends here and by the end of your vacation (if you don´t decide to stay forever and ever) you will be “Oi-ing” on every corner.
7. You know you are from Itacaré when the rain is an acceptable excuse to do nothing.
Bahia is the place where sunny days are a promise. When the sun strikes: strike back!
8. You know you are from Itacaré when you don’t go to the beach everyday and – when you finally do – you sit in the shade.
This is also true. Although the beach makes a crucial part of your Itacareense life, we do get spoiled of having beach-days on a daily basis and eventually will take breaks from it.
9. You know you are from Itacaré when you can have an entire conversation based on the words “beleza” and “massa”.
They say that a picture is worth more than 1000 words. So are the words “beleza” and “massa” which literarily translate into “beautiful” and “great”. Although they can mean everything from “what´s up?” to “let’s go!”
10. You know you are from Itacaré when you feel like being a part of the Itacareense family.
Last but not least: the feeling on belonging to the flock, which normally takes years to happen, in Itacaré takes only one Caipirinha.